Perpetual Burn!!!! tips....please
Posted by the_ninja 
Perpetual Burn!!!! tips....please
November 10, 2011 11:24PM
Hey Jason,

First off i just want to say that im a huge fan and that you truly inspire me to become the best guitarist and person that i can be. Now being the best guitarist i can be doesnt mean im good haha! But anyways lately ive been figuring out a bunch of instrumental and technical songs by ear and i really just cant figure out the opening sweep to "Perpetual Burn" Really all that im asking is what kind of arp are you playing in the beginning sweep? It sounds amazing but i just cant seem to figure out all the correct notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you my good sir and best of wishes from my family and I!

Sincerely Yours,
Taylor Trevino
Re: Perpetual Burn!!!! tips....please
November 21, 2011 02:20AM
Sorry if you were waiting for Jason to answer but lol let's see if I can help.

If I'm not mistaken JB uploaded some tabs to the intro of Perpetual Burn err somewhere in the site.
After checking them out I saw they are likely correct (since they're not played perfectly, I don't know how the hell they could) and he even explained where they came from on the famous Atlanta clinic.

It's as it goes:
e|-17p12----------------------12-17---12----------------------12-17---12--------------|
B|-------15----------------15------------15----------------15------------15-----------|
G|----------16p12----12h16------------------16p12----12h16------------------16p12-----|
D|----------------14------------------------------14------------------------------14--|
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-17p12----------------------12-17---12----------------------12-17---12--------------|
B|-------15----------------15------------15----------------15------------15-----------|
G|----------17p12----12h17------------------17p12----12h17------------------17p12-----|
D|----------------15------------------------------15------------------------------15--|
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-17p11----------------------11-17---11----------------------11-17---11--------------|
G|----------14p12----12h14------------------14p12----12h14------------------14p12-----|
D|----------------13------------------------------13------------------------------13--|

e|-17p12----------------------12-17---12----------------------12-17-------------------|
B|-------15----------------15------------15----------------15-------------------------|
G|----------16p12----12h16------------------16p12----12h16----------------------------|  x2
D|----------------14------------------------------14----------------------------------|  2nd time goes to melody

(rythmically the lick depicts 32nd notes grouped into 5 with a final 8th note. Basically each sweep contains 11 notes)

Notice how the first shape is made out of pentatonic notes. The choice of notes are what makes it slightly twisted. The other shapes are just a deviation on that.
Also notice that you can think each arpeggio like two groups of notes, most noticeable the double 17(1)-12(1)-15(2) mechanic of the second arpeggio - fret(string).
I hope this isn't too confusing lol Good luck trying to play this >.>
December 24, 2011 05:52AM
Thank you so much!!!! i really appreciate that and i absolutely love the fact you explained some of the theory in the sweeps(i enjoy talking about theory and learning about it)

Once again thank you very much and have a happy christmas and merry new year!! smiling bouncing smiley
August 30, 2013 04:54AM
Anyone know where to find those files Kurai references in his post?
December 11, 2013 05:08PM
Go to Youtube and search for a guy named Ernesto Homeyer. He has a fantastic series of vids explaining Perpetual Burn and other JB pieces. His explanation and instruction on the intro sweeps are perfect.

There's also a great video of Jeff Loomis flawlessly playing the entire song, if you want to try to play along as you get the feel of it under your fingers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login